Who benefits from Micro-needling?
Micro-needling combined with PRP of the Vampire Facial is best for patients who have baseline good skin that is not severely damaged. The treatment is optimal for those looking for overall skin rejuvenation and improvement in skin texture. Several of the post-treatment pictures you’ve seen in prior posts that show a smiling person but plenty of redness represents the appearance immediately after a Vampire Facial. Depending on what PRP process is used, the patient might even look like they’re covered in blood immediately after the procedure. I tell people that it looks much worse than it feels. The redness and scratched-looking appearance may last for 1-2 days. Once the redness resolves, the skin tightening and rejuvenation begins.
Generally, with the Vampire Facial, periodic touch-ups are recommended to maintain the effects of the procedure. Continue reading to learn about vampire facials and what you can expect during this procedure.
What is a Vampire Facial Procedure? It is a way to rejuvenate the skin on your face and neck through a five-step process.
- Step 1: Numbing cream is applied all over the patient’s face.
- Step 2: While waiting for the numbing cream to take effect, a couple vials of blood are drawn from the patient’s arm and spun in a centrifuge machine to isolate the PRP. This will isolate growth factors from your own blood. These growth factors then activate multi-potent stem cells already in the skin.
- Step 3: Once the patient’s face is sufficiently numb, a micro-needling device (SkinPen) is used to create multiple micro-punctures driving isolated growth factors into the skin while creating a stimulus for tightening and rejuvenation of the collagen of your face.
- Step 4: Growth factors from your own blood are applied on to the micro-punctures to soak into the tissue and further stimulate tightening and skin rejuvenation.
- Step 5: Recovery and maintenance enhanced by Altar an official Vampire Skin Therapy. Altar works synergistically to enhance the effects of the previous steps.
Who is a good candidate? What Skin Imperfections Does the Facial Treatment Improve?
- Gray skin color from less blood flow
- Fine vertical lines around the mouth
- Sagging skin and volume loss
- Minute lines and coarse wrinkles
- Skin texture that has become less smooth
- Scars from trauma, acne or chickenpox
- Skin that appears worn down, tired, or droopy
What are the Benefits of the Vampire PRP Facial?
- Boosts collagen production.
- Eliminates fine lines & wrinkles.
- Replenishes a healthy, youthful glow.
- Repairs skin at a cellular level.
- Reduces scarring from acne, surgery, burns, & trauma.
- Diminishes skin discoloration from age spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Non-surgical, completely safe, and minimal downtime.
- Uses healing factors from your own body, thereby eliminating the risk of an allergic reaction.
What is Micro-needling?
Micro-needling is a minimally invasive treatment, here at RMR we use the “Skinpen” device equipped with a grid of super-tiny (micro) needles to lightly puncture your skin.
By damaging your skin in a controlled manner, micro-needling stimulates the dermis (deeper layer of skin) to release certain special active biomolecules into the surrounding skin in order to heal it.
This healing process improves the appearance of your skin by kicking local collagen production into high gear – restoring youthful appearance to your skin.
Micro-needling works fantastically by itself to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, restore volume to the face, and improve complexion.
It’s usually followed with skin care products, but during a Vampire Facial® those products are exchanged for PRP in order to heighten the benefits.
WHAT IS SKINPEN?
SkinPen by Crown Aesthetics is the first microneedling device cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in the world, clinically proven to safely and effectively treat facial acne scars for ages 22 and up. With as few as three non-invasive and affordable treatments spaced 30 days apart, you can improve your appearance for six months after your last treatment – and step out with confidence.
HOW MICRONEEDLING WORKS?
SkinPen by Bellus Medical is the first FDA-cleared microneedling device. It causes controlled micro-injuries that stimulate your body’s natural wound healing process, while minimizing cellular damage. The result is effective remodeling of scar tissue, while keeping the overall structure of the skin intact.
THERE ARE THREE PHASES OF THE WOUND REPAIR PROCESS:
Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is rebuilt with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
Phase III: Remodeling. The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels.
Best of all, SkinPen works. Ninety percent of subjects in the clinical trial would recommend the procedure to family and friends.
Are there any reasons why I should not receive a SkinPen® Precision treatment?
The use of the SkinPen® Precision System should not be used if you:
• Have active skin cancer in the treatment area(s)
• Have open wounds, sores, or irritated skin in the treatment area(s)
• Have an allergy to stainless steel or anesthetics
• Have a hemorrhagic (bleeding) disorder or hemostatic (bleeding) dysfunction
• Are pregnant or nursing
• Are currently taking drugs with the ingredient isotretinoin (such as Accutane) NOTE: This product is not intended for transdermal (under the skin) delivery of topical products such as cosmetics, drugs, or biologics.
What will a SkinPen Precision Treatment accomplish, and what did the clinical study show?
The study doctors reported using the Acne Scar Assessment Scale:
Results of the photo grading indicated a significant improvement in acne scar assessment at 6 months post-treatment when compared with baseline with 55% (11/20) of subjects showing improvement at 6-months post-treatment when compared with baseline. At 6-months post-treatment, the remaining 9 subjects(45%) reported no change in score when compared to baseline. The visual improvements seen in the photo grading results were considered to be clinically meaningful.
AFTER TREATMENT INFORMATION
In the SkinPen® Precision clinical study, the most common treatment responses experienced were:
Individuals with a history of allergies, hives, itching and individuals with have an increased risk.
Dryness, rough skin, tightness, redness, itching, peeling, discomfort, tenderness, and burning. These conditions resolved over time without any further complications.
Although not seen in the clinical study, you may experience reactivation of herpes simplex virus (cold sore), pigment changes that include lighter or darker skin in the area treatment that resolves over time, or no change in their acne scars.
Your doctor will also tell you what to expect following a SkinPen® Precision system treatment. Within the first 72 hours post-treatment you should avoid sweaty exercise and sun exposure. Exposure to these conditions could led to: itching, burning, stinging, tingling, scaling, dryness, redness, swelling, and tenderness, and/or discomfort.
Will I need more than one treatment to achieve my desired results?
You should discuss treatment goals with your doctor. In the clinical study patients were treated in a series of 3 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart. It is recommended to avoid other facial aesthetic treatments the month following your SkinPen Precision treatment.
Do the results last forever?
While individual results may vary, in the clinical study, the results were evaluated 6 months after the third (final) treatment. After this, additional treatments may be needed to maintain your desired result.
WHEN TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR?
Call your doctor immediately if you experience:
This risk is increased for individuals with a history of allergies, and individuals with asthma and/or a history of hives, and itching.
Be sure to call your doctor if you:
- Any additional treatment responses not discussed above.
- Allergic reactions to the test material (s). Rare allergic reactions can consist of severe contact dermatitis (rash) or itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing. This risk is increased for individuals with a history of allergies, and individuals with asthma and/or a history of hives, and itching.
- Any additional treatment responses not discussed above.
BEFORE AND (HAPPILY EVER) AFTER
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT VAMPIRE FACIALS
If you’ve scheduled your first vampire facial treatment, also known as a blood facial, you no doubt have a handful of questions. Review the following FAQs to prepare for your treatment.
Do vampire facials hurt?
Although a numbing cream is applied to the face prior to the treatment, some patients do experience mild pain– particularly around sensitive areas like the hairline, mouth, and eyes. However, all patients have different levels of pain tolerance and therefore experience vampire facials differently.
What are the benefits of vampire facials?
As a result of the tissue regeneration and collagen production induced by vampire facials, many patients report:
- Younger looking skin
- Minimization of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduction of acne scars
- Improved skin texture
Since it takes time for the skin to regenerate new tissue and produce collagen, it may take up to several weeks before you notice optimal results.
Is a vampire facial right for me?
If you’re interested in improving the overall texture of your skin and developing youthful looking skin, a vampire facial could be the ideal procedure for you. Vampire facials are particularly helpful for those with premature wrinkles, sun damage, and acne scars.
How long will the results last?
Length of results depends on the area treated and on many other factors. Our Medical staff will discuss specific expectations with you prior to treatment. On average, PRP facial results last up to 18-24 months.
How long until I see results from the vampire facial?
The time until you see your full results will vary depending on your age, skin type, and diet. Noticeable initial results may take anywhere from 2-12 weeks to appear. Our Medical staff may recommend several treatment sessions at predetermined intervals to achieve your desired results. Touch-up treatments may also be beneficial
Is the Vampire Facial safe from contamination?
Recently, there has been some publicity regarding patients who may have contracted HIV while undergoing treatment at a clinic in New Mexico. We would like to stress that there is no risk of HIV when performing the Vampire Facial correctly. You can see a list of approved providers by area at vampirefacial.com. Luly Ruiz, the person operating the VIP Spa in New Mexico was shut down by the New Mexico Department of Health for unsafe practices regarding needles and blood as well as not being properly licensed to operate a medical spa. In addition, she was never trained in the proper procedure for the Vampire Facial. If the practice is properly trained to perform the Vampire Facial and listed on the provider website and is properly licensed to practice medicine in your state, then there is really no risk of transmitting a disease such as HIV, hepatitis B or C.
Plus, by design. SkinPen’s patent-pending – and single-use – sterile needle cartridge is built with safety in mind. SkinPen is also surrounded by a proprietary BioSheath that acts as a barrier to prevent cross contamination between procedures.1 That’s part of the reason SkinPen by Bellus Medical is the world’s first FDA-cleared microneedling device.
To learn more about vampire facials or to schedule your vampire facial appointment, contact Regenerative Medicine of the Rockies today!